Village of Dering Harbor
Architectural Review Board
January 14th, 2023 9:00AM
- The meeting was called to order at 9:03am.
- Attendance: Susannah Rose (chairperson), Mickey Kostow, StephanieDeutsch; absent- George Birman, Rob Ferris; Wayne Bruyn (village attorney), Vicki Shields (village clerk) , Donna Ritzmann (stenographer), Patrick Parcells, Brandon Rose
- A motion to accept the minutes from the November 12th meeting was made by Susannah and seconded by Mickey. All Board members present voted in favor.
- New Business
Public Hearing to Review a Building Permit Application
Submitted by Emily Guertin, Gregory Lombardi Design (owner’s agent)
Property owners- Kenneth G Tropin Revocable Trust, Nicholas J Tropin and Kelly Tropin 2003 Trust
SCTM# 701 – 1 – 1 – 25.1, 12, and 22
Street Address: 2, 3, and 4 Sylvester Road, Dering Harbor
Building permit applications for landscape improvements on (3) separate but contiguous parcels, including planting, pathways, vegetable garden with fence, and masonry moon gate sculpture.
Emily Guertin gave her presentation.
Wayne asked Emily to identify where there are proposed structures on each of the parcels. She did so. Moon gate, pathways, fence around the vegetable garden.
Stephanie reminded the applicant about how high the hedges can be according to the code and Emily agreed and showed where it illustrates it in the plan.
- Patrick made comments about what the applicant needs the ARB’s blessing on.
- Susannah has no concerns and thinks it looks good. It meets all the requirements.
- Stephanie stated on the record that she doesn’t agree with what Patrick said.
- Mickey had a couple more questions about existing equipment and the issue of the old garage that is still standing on 4 Sylvetser. He commented that he thinks that the seaside perennial garden is odd and Emily explained the thinking behind it. He thinks the paths might invite people who regularly walk that area to walk into the garden. Otherwise, he thinks it’s beautiful and well done.
A motion to close the public hearing was made by Susannah and seconded by Stephanie. All Board members present voted in favor.
A motion for the following resolution was made by Susannah and seconded by Mickey. All Board members present voted in favor.
RESOLVED, that the application of Emily Guertin of Gregory Lombardi Design, LLC for plans as submitted, dated 12/9/2022 and revised 12/19/2022 for landscape improvements, including a vegetable garden with fence, pathways, and plantings at 2 Sylvester Road, be and hereby are APPROVED.
A motion for the following resolution, with a note that the applicant must address the issue of the garage remaining as an accessory structure without a principle structure at 4 Sylvester Road with the building inspector, was made Susannah and seconded by Stephanie. All Board members present voted in favor.
RESOLVED, that the application of Emily Guertin of Gregory Lombardi Design, LLC for plans as submitted, dated 12/9/2022 and revised 12/19/2022 for landscape improvements, including planting, pathways, and masonry moon gate sculpture at 4 Sylvester Road, be and hereby are APPROVED.
Patrick Parcells asked Wayne specifically where in the code it gives the ARB purview over landscaping. Wayne gave an explanation.
- Next meeting date- March 18th, 2023
Susannah asked Patrick Parcells if he wanted to follow-up with what he brought up during the meeting. He did. Wayne then spoke to the tradition that has been upheld. Brandon Rose made some good points regarding precedence. Stephanie responded and agreed that this needs to be worked on. Patrick commented that if a landowner wants to plant a tree or a shrub or a screen, they are free to do so. Stephanie explained what the practice has traditionally been regarding landscaping.
- A motion to adjourn at 9:32am was made by Susannah and seconded by Stephanie. All Board members present voted in favor.