VILLAGE OF DERING HARBOR
BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
July 1, 2017
Acting Mayor Heather E.G. Brownlie, Esq.
Trustees John Colby, Kirk Ressler, and Richard Smith.
Village Attorney: Joseph W. Prokop, Esq.
Village Residents: Marian Brownlie, Esther Hunt, Bridgford A. Hunt, Rob Ferris, Karen Kelsey, Patrick Parcells, AnnBeth Eschbach, James Goldman, Ken Walker, Mary Walker, Michael Kostow, Robert Ruttenberg, Helge Skibeli, Clora Kelly, Ari Benecerraf, Margarita Benecerraf, Alfredo Paredes, Eric Deutsch and Martha Baker.
Also Present: Julia Brennan and Beverly Walz for the Shelter Island Reporter.
I. Mayor Brownlie opened the Trustees meeting at 9:02 a.m.
II. Review of the Minutes from the June 17, 2017 Meeting.
A. Motion to approve the Minutes from June 17, 2017 made by John Colby with a second by Richard Smith. Motion carried unanimously.
III.Review of the Bills from June 2017
A. Motion by John Colby with a second by Richard Smith to approve the June 2017 bills. Motion carried unanimously.
A. Letter of Resignation from Village Clerk Laura Hildreth
1. Mayor Brownlie read the Letter of Resignation received from Laura Hildreth
B. Letter of Resignation from Mayor Timothy M. Hogue
1. Mayor Brownlie read the Letter of Resignation received from Timothy M. Hogue
C. Board Acceptance with regret the Resignation of Timothy M. Hogue
1. Motion to accept the resignation of Timothy M. Hogue made by Richard Smith with a second by Kirk Ressler. Motion carried unanimously.
D. Appointment of Chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals
1. Mayor Brownlie appointed Timothy M. Hogue as the Chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals to serve the remainder of the term of Kirk Ressler through June 2019.
2. Motion by John Colby to confirm the appointment of Timothy M. Hogue as the Chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals with a second by Richard Smith. Motion carried unanimously
E. Appointment of New Mayor
1. Richard Smith made a motion to appoint H. Kirk Ressler as the Mayor to serve the remainder of the term of Timothy M. Hogue through July 2, 2018. The motion was seconded by John Colby.
2. Discussion ensued.
3. Ms. Brownlie called for the vote and the motion carried with a vote of 3-0 with Mr. Ressler abstaining from the vote.
F. New Mayor Sworn In
1. Attorney Joseph Prokop administered the Oath of Office to Mayor Kirk Ressler.
G. Appointment of Deputy Mayor
1. Mayor Ressler appointed John Colby to serve as Deputy Mayor for the remainder of his term of office.
2. Motion to approve the appointment of John Colby as the Deputy Mayor made by Heather Brownlie with a second by Richard Smith. Motion carried unanimously.
V. Presentation of Certificate of Appreciation honoring the 25 years of service of Tim Hogue to the Village of Dering Harbor.
VI. Mayor Ressler offered that he would like to move forward working with the members of the public who were present and build consensus with the new Trustees who take office at the next meeting.
VII. Deputy Mayor Colby announced that an ad would be placed in the newspaper seeking a new Village Clerk and the candidate would need to have experience and training in that role.
V. Date for next meeting set for July 15, 2017 at 9:00 a.m.
VI. Motion to adjourn the Trustees Meeting made by Richard Smith with a second by Heather Brownlie. Motion carried unanimously.
Meeting adjourned at 9:26 a.m.