Village of Dering Harbor
Trustees’ Meeting Minutes
August 14, 2021, 9:00 AM
● The meeting was called to order at 9:03am
● Attendance- Patrick Parcells (mayor), Trustees Karen Kelsey, Ari Benacerraf, Brad Goldfarb, Brandon Rose; Vicki Shields (village clerk), Wayne Bruyn (village attorney), Donna Ritzmann (Flynn Stenography, hired by Tim Hogue), Annbeth Eschbach, Susan Dempsey.
● A motion to accept the minutes from July 10th meeting, July 16th Special Meeting, and July 26th Special Meeting was made by Brad and seconded by Ari. 4 votes in favor, 1 abstention (Patrick). Motion passed.
● Old Business
● Treasurer Report – Outstanding Bills Abstract
○ Patrick asked if there are any outstanding tax bills. Vicki answered yes, a couple.
○ A motion for a resolution to approve the abstract and payment of the monthly bills was made by Brad and seconded by Karen. All Board members voted in favor.
● Litigation/Legal Update- Wayne had nothing new to report.
● New Business
○ Chris Johnson’s contract needs to be renewed. Patrick met with Chris and he has agreed to sign on for another 2 years, with a 10% increase in his rate and fees. A motion to pass the following resolution was moved by Brad and seconded by Karen. All Board members voted in favor.
RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING VILLAGE BOARD TO EXTEND AND MODIFY CONTRACT WITH CHRISTIAN JOHNSON TREE AND TURF WORKS, INC. FOR SNOWPLOWING, HIGHWAY, LAWN & LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE SERVICES
WHEREAS, the VILLAGE has retained Christian Johnson Tree and Turf Works, Inc. for snowplowing, highway, lawn and landscape maintenance services for Village roads and properties since June, 2019 to perform the services described below; and
WHEREAS, the VILLAGE wishes to continue to retain CONTRACTOR to perform the same services under the same terms and conditions for an additional two year term a modest increase in the cost of services.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of the Village of Dering Harbor hereby authorizes the extension and modification of the contract with Christian Johnson Tree and Turf Works, Inc. for snow plowing, highway, lawn and landscape maintenance services for Village roads and properties for a two (2) year term commencing on the Village’s fiscal year on June 1, 2021 at an annual cost of $24,750.00, and authorizes the Mayor or Deputy Mayor, to execute an agreement to extend and modify the aforesaid contract on behalf of the Board of Trustees and the Village of Dering Harbor.
○ Village Improvement Projects – Update from Brad
The village received 2 bids, which were still sealed at the time of the meeting. Ari asked Brad if he thinks there are others that wanted to put in a bid. Brad said no. He spoke to several contractors who found the RFP very restrictive. Brad opened the bids that were received and it was agreed that the board should take time to review the bids. Wayne explained that they can call a special meeting to discuss the bids and make a decision on how to proceed then.
Brad also gave an update on street lights. He said he had gotten an estimate from Ocean Electric for repairing the 10 street lamps. All of them need new globes, lamp and socket replacements and Brad broke down the cost of each of the elements. Brandon asked if perhaps the community should be asked if repairing the street lights is a priority. Patrick thinks action should be taken on this and not wait any longer. There was a conversation about directional lighting options and if all of the streetlamps need to be illuminated. Patrick asked Brad to speak to the residents where
the streetlamps are nearby and ask them what they would like to see happen with them. But it was agreed they should all be repaired to have the same globe (so they look uniform) and repaired so that they function properly.
A motion to approve the following resolution was made by Brad, seconded by Ari. All Board members voted in favor.
RESOLUTION: TO ACCEPT PROPOSAL OF OCEAN ELECTRIC FOR THE REPAIR OF STREET LIGHTS
RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of the Village of Dering Harbor, hereby accepts the proposal of Ocean Electric, Inc., dated August 2, 2021, for the replacement of globes, lamps and sockets, and general repair of street lights to be undertaken at the direction of the Board of Trustees, the total cost not to exceed $10,000.00.
● Patrick brought up the need to extend the EFC agreement. Asked Wayne what action the board needs to take. Wayne explained it. A motion to pass the following resolution was made by Brad and seconded by Ari. All Board members voted in favor.
RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING EXTENSION OF NYSEFC DRINKING WATER FACILITY NOTE
WHEREAS, the Village of Dering Harbor entered into a Project Finance Agreement with the New York State Environmental Facilities Corporation (“NYSEFC”) dated as of September 8, 2016; and
WHEREAS, the proceeds of the financing have been used by the Village to finance certain costs related for the replacement of the Village’s water supply tan (the “Project”); and
WHEREAS, in connection with the financing, the Village issued to the NYSEFC a Drinking Water Facility Note (the “Note”) in the principal sum of $475,000.00; and
WHEREAS, the Village and NYSEFC have agreed to extend the maturity date of the Note for one additional year to September 8, 2022.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Trustees of the Village of Dering Harbor hereby authorizes the extension of the maturity date of the Drinking Water Facility Note to September 8, 2022 and authorizes the Village Treasurer and Village Clerk to execute all necessary instruments to facilitate such extension, including but not limited to an Amendment to the Project Finance
Agreement and an Amended and Restate EFC Dining Water Facility Note on behalf the Village of Dering Harbor.
● Water Update- Patrick spoke to Joe Pokorny at SCWA. There was not much to update. The Highway Barn is almost finished. He spoke to him about reseeding area on Manhanset. Both things will be done by the fall.
● A motion to go in Executive Session to discuss Litigation and Personnel Matters at 9:43 was made by Karen and seconded by Brad. All Board members voted in favor.
● The meeting was called back into order 11:40am.
● Patrick announced that Meredith Jenkins had sent an email to the Trustees resigning from her position as chairperson of the ZBA.
○ A motion to accept her resignation as ZBA chair was made by Ari and seconded by Karen. All Board members voted in favor.
○ A motion to appoint Alex Jackson as ZBA chairperson was made by Brad and seconded Karen. All Board members voted in favor.
● Date for next regular Trustee’s meeting – September 11, 2021 at 9:00 am
● A motion to adjourn at 11: 46am was made by Brad and seconded by Karen. All Board members voted in favor.